Monday, February 15, 2010

A Valentine's Treat

This Valentine's weekend was quite a treat for me. On Saturday, my dad drove up from Georgia to visit us. My Aunt Mary, grandma and cousin Emily also drove down from Muncie for dinner and to visit. We had a delicious meal of pulled pork sandwiches, strawberry-banana fruit salad, veggie salad, stuffed potatoes and cookie dough brownies with chocolate ganache...some of my favorite recipes. I also attempted a new dessert...fondant-covered Oreo Cakesters. I found the recipe here. It seems like a difficult recipe, but it's really not...and it was actually a lot of fun to make!

Here's the lineup...Oreo Cakesters, a box of fondant (I got mine at Michael's), food coloring, sprinkles, cupcake liners (you don't have to have these, I just thought they were cute), a fondant cutting tool (a knife will work just fine), tube icing and cupcake stencils (ended up not using these because they were too big...very cute, though) ...




First, add ONE drop of red food coloring to the fondant to make this pink color (add more if you want red or none if you want it white). Knead the fondant and then roll it out with a rolling pin...

Cut it into squares big enough to cover the Oreo...


Cover the Oreo and trim off the excess at the bottom so they look like this (this may take a bit of practice to get a smooth look)...


Place them in cute cupcake liners, if you so choose...


The dark pink below was my attempt at red. For some reason, I couldn't get the fondant any darker than this...



Then, go to town decorating the tops with the icing. Here are a few of the designs I tried...


How cute are these!?


These could really be adapted for just about any holiday or occasion. I know I'll definitely be making more soon...actually, I'm going to make some for my Girl Scout troop today!
I hope you all enjoyed your Valentine's Day! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Alisa, those are super cute!!! Glad you got to spend some time with the family!

    ReplyDelete