Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cake Decorating

About a month ago, my friend and co-worker, Jessica, suggested we sign up for cake decorating classes. We both love to cook and bake, and it seemed like fun so we registered ourselves for a Wilton class at our local Michael's.

We are now almost done with Course 1 (there are four courses, each with four classes), but I am just now getting around to posting our experience from the first class.

We had to bring an iced cake with us to each of the last 3 classes in Course 1 so we got together and baked all our cakes one weekend. Here are our first cakes (we each used just 1 layer)...



We leveled our cakes...



Then, we whipped up some buttercream frosting. This is the most delicious frosting you could imagine (I'll post the recipe here)...

Jess dyed her frosting green (St. Patrick's Day was coming up) and split her layer in half. She filled it with raspberry preserves...so good!


Then, we made our first attempt at icing and smoothing the cake...


Here's mine...


and Jess's...


Not too bad, right?
Now, don't judge me when you see my final cake. It's completely off-center and I ran out of room piping on the letters. Apparently, that's why we were supposed to practice and measure it out. Unfortunately, I was convinced that the OCD in me would carry over to cake decorating...not so!
Here's my cake with an ugly green bear (we had to make a bear) and the word "Congrats" because that's all I could think of that would fit...


Yes, it's bad...really bad. But just wait until you see what I have in store for you...you may just change your mind about my cake decorating skills!
P.S. The cake may be ugly, but it was DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment