Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kayaking...Or Not

Since I am on Fall Break and leaving for California on Friday, Don decided to take a few days off for us to spend time together (that may not be the reason he gives when asked why he took time off work, but it's the one I'm sticking with). Since we have taken up kayaking as our new hobby, we decided to go on an 8 mile kayaking trip down the Whitewater River in Brookville, Indiana today. Don made all the arrangements with the kayak rental company and off we went this morning. It's about a 2 hour drive so we had to get up quite early to make our 9:30 reservation. We got there about 10 minutes late and what did we find? Nothing but a dark building and locked doors. Apparently they forgot to show up for work this morning. Big bummer!

We had to move onto Plan B which ended up being a lot of fun. We wound up at Whitewater Memorial State Park where we spent a couple of hours hiking the trails around Brookville Lake.
Very scenic, especially this time of year!
We took several shots, but we always ended up on the right so we gave up.
As we were leaving the park, we came across two deer standing just yards from our car. One escaped before we could get a picture, but this doe stayed very still...until my cell phone rang and she made a run for it too!
After we left Brookville, we headed over to Metamora for a little lunch...and fudge. I realize this looks like steak (sort of), but it is actually the most delicious chocolate peanut butter and chocolate caramel pecan fudge I have ever eaten!
And if the fudge wasn't enough (because of course for me, a true chocoholic, it wasn't), as we were driving home, we came across one of those drive-up hot dog, root beer, ice cream places (which I absolutely ADORE!) so my wonderful husband stopped and we got ice cream. Is that bad?? I don't think so. I think it was a terrific day spent with my hubby!

No comments:

Post a Comment