Monday, June 28, 2010

Is it a Campout? Is it a Sleepover? Who Knows?

I am one of four Girl Scout leaders at my school, and a few weeks ago, we took all our Daisies, Brownies and Juniors (15 girls in all, grades K-4) on a practice campout in one of the other leader's backyard. We had tons of fun!

The girls had a campfire dinner, played on the swingset and took turns swinging at a pinata...



They also played a few water games and took a nature hike (ok, ok...I know this isn't really nature...it's just a cornfield, but remember this was all just practice being away from home and spending the day/night outdoors)...



The girls also had to help erect the 5 tents (no easy task...I couldn't even figure the things out!)...


Lucky for us, E is a pro at putting up tents...


We got all 5 tents set up, with all our belongings in them, and were getting ready to roast marshmallows when it happened. What happened, you may ask? Rain, that's what. Lots and lots of rain...and thunder...and lightning. Severe thunderstorms to be exact. We rushed inside to wait it out, but it didn't stop...for a LONG time.
Finally, one of the other leaders and I decided to run outside and start pulling sleeping bags, pillows, bags, stuffed animals, flashlights, etc., etc., etc. out of the tents and bring it all inside for our new adventure...a sleepover! Unfortunately, when we hit the torrential rain outside and were running through puddles to get inside the safety of the tents, we realized something...the tents were not waterproof. All 37 billion things the girls (and leaders) brought were soaking wet. We started running things into the house where they were immediately thrown into the dryer.
Luckily, our girls are flexible and didn't mind having a sleepover in the living room while eating smores made in the microwave and watching Disney movies! And I didn't mind not having to sleep outside on the ground...in fact, I didn't mind the big bed I got to sleep in one bit! Let's be honest, that's really more my style anyways (think Shelley Long in "Troop Beverly Hills"...that's me)!
Here's the carnage the next morning...


See that tent in the middle? The one that looks like it hasn't yet been erected? Well, it had been and that's the one I was supposed to sleep in...

Well, I guess 3 out of 5 isn't that bad, right?


I must say, though, for all the craziness that ensued that evening (and there was A LOT!), I had a blast hanging out with my Brownies, in particular. I was their 2nd and 3rd grade teacher so this campout/sleepover was the perfect way to round out 2 awesome years with them. They were the best. class. ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment