Saturday, January 30, 2010

A New Favorite Recipe

I came across a new favorite recently, as I was looking for a recipe for homemade applesauce. I have now made it twice and have actually not mashed it at the end so my twist on it is more like stewed apples than applesauce. Here's how to make it...

You will need 3 and a 1/2 pounds of apples. In my experience, that is about 7 small to medium-sized apples. I use Gala apples because they are my favorite, but you could use whatever you like.




You will need to core each apple...


Then, peel each apple...

Then, cut each piece into small chunks and put into a Dutch oven...



You will need brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon...



To the Dutch oven, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 teaspoon cinnamon...


Mix it up a bit, pop the lid on your pot and simmer over medium-low heat for about 35 minutes. They're done when the apples are soft and the sauce is all combined.



They will look something like this...


What a great way to warm up on a chilly day! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment